Monday, February 9, 2009

Windows 7: Premature Still


After a week of trying the beta version of Windows 7, I already found myself rethinking what I'd done. Don't get me wrong: I've always been a beta tester of everything, I've made all my computers since 1995 run new crap (back then it was windows 98, then XP, then Vista). But even with all the bugs and fixes, I've stuck to my decision, somehow owning up to the fact that what's new will eventually work itself out.

For Windows 7, there is no such safeguard.

Yes there were new features added, namely:
  • Option to have a desktop backgrounds to switch.
  • Handwriting recognition
  • Snipper (something similar to alt-print screen)
  • Truetype (clearer fonts)
  • A revised Action Center (which will include your firewalls, and AV softwares)
But to me, these are practically useless if you can't run the programs you want.

Somehow from its redundant menus to roundabout control panel items, from the thick taskbar to unstable network connections I finally decided that Windows 7 was still too premature for my taste. Which is why I went back to Vista. Critics may not hail it (as it is my personal opinion that only techies should be allowed to use Vista, even if it is a dumbed-down version of XP), but I am very happy with my experience with Vista.

I'll probably wait until Windows 7 is officially released.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails