Monday, February 2, 2009

Windows 7 Beta Review


Today I have one of the most anticipated operating systems in Windows history: the Windows 7 Beta. The road coming here wasn't at all easy (sorry, Barack, I had to follow suit) : I first had to suffer an upgrade installation, a power outage in the middle of that installation, then a clean install afterward which effectively reduced all my personal files to a mere figment of my imagination (even after clicking the option NOT to delete my previous files and store them into a "windows.old" folder).

Even before the installation, I had to try downloading the beta thrice (thanks to the faulty Java platform which it came available for download), had it downloaded by a friend who [stupidly] downloaded the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit one. I finally had to hunt down a torrent of the ISO file and burn it on a DVD.

Microsoft promised that this version will eventually shelf the agony that is Windows Vista. Not that my experience with that operating system was entirely bad. I had my good times with it too :)

In my opinion, my first hour using this operating system was a bit boggling. My first baby step was to change the desktop background, to find that upon clicking "personalize" a whole new interface was in place, asking me to change the theme of the desktop itself. Thanks to the clean install, my beautiful dreamscenes are now nowhere to be found.

Gadgets no longer have it's dock on the right hand side of the screen and does not exist. The taskbar feels a little thick to me too (with no option to make it a teeny bit smaller). I also notice that my system is running a bit slower than it did with Vista Ultimate.

Let me try this beta for a few more days before deciding whether I should get my old and clunky Vista back.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails